Welcome to

Weins Canada

> view details

Address

3120 Steeles Ave. E.
Markham Ontario L3R 1G9

T:905-475-0308

Contact Us

Connect with us:

History

Yokohama Toyopet - The Origin of the Group

Based in Yokohama, the second largest city in Japan, our parent company operates one of the largest dealership networks in the country.

The founder of Yokohama Toyopet, Mr. Kanji Miyahara, Sr. (1910-1998) was an early advocate of the "Customer First" philosophy and endeavoured to incorporate this philosophy into all aspects of his business since establishing the company in 1956. As a result, Yokohama Toyopet grew rapidly, and soon became one of the most respected dealership networks in Japan.

Continued growth resulted in the formation of several subsidiaries dealing in expanded lines of products as well as non-automotive areas of business, including communications and business equipment, rentals and leasing, sound systems and market research.

Weins Group

In the early 1990s, the group showed significant growth and was integrated under the name "WEINS GROUP". WEINS is an acronym derived from the words West, East, Information, North and South implying that the group expands around the world and is closely integrated with each other for synergy by information.

Today there are 13 member companies in Japan, including 4 automotive dealer companies, and one in Canada which is us, Weins Canada Inc. The entire group sold over 70,000 units of new cars in 2010. They include 4% of total national sales of both Toyota and Lexus in Canada and Japan respectively. The number of employees of the group is close to 7,000.

Weins Canada Inc.

With the global nature of the automotive industry in mind, Mr. Kanji Miyahara Sr. recognized that a presence in the North American segment of the industry would be a definite asset to the organization. In the early 1970s, Mr. Miyahara acted on this premise. Working closely with Toyota Motor Corporation and its National Distributor in Canada, he called C.M.I. and then placed a dealership in Canada.

Situated on approximately 4 acres of land, with a 23,000 square foot facility and 27 employees, Don Valley North Toyota opened its doors on October 5th 1973. In the first full year of operation, 304 new, 100 used retail and 65 used wholesale units were delivered. Sales figures grew by leaps and bounds and by 2005 had grown to 4208 new, 1036 used retail and 1428 used wholesale, representing an increase of 1293% since 1974!

Increases in sales means increases in all facets of our business. As such, modifications, adjustments and expansion to all departments are periodically undertaken. The following is a brief history of some of the more notable changes throughout the company's history:

1972

The company Don Valley North Toyota Ltd. was established by investment of Yokohama Toyopet and its subsidiaries.

1973

Don Valley North Toyota launched the business at 3120 Steeles Avenue East in Markham.

1975

An addition was built at the North end of the building to give the body and paint shops separate work areas.

1982

Markville Toyota was established as the second dealership owned and operated by Don Valley North Toyota Ltd.

1983

The rental car department, TRAC, was created.

1985

The bodyshop office was enlarged to accommodate increased numbers of administrative staff.

1987

The accounting and administrative department was moved out of the main building to a rental unit at 3160 Steeles Avenue. This move allowed the Sales Department to expand into the vacated area.

1987

Vehicle prep centre was established at the Markville Toyota location.

1989

The Time 2000 computer system was installed.

1989

Bodyshop was moved off premises to its current location at 391 John Street. The Service Department was expanded to fill the vacated area, approximately doubling the productive capability of the department.

1990

Gormley Automotive Centre was established. GAC performs almost all pre-delivery servicing and accessory installation on new vehicles sold through our dealerships, permitting the Service Departments to spend more time on servicing customer vehicles.

1990

A Lexus franchise was awarded to the company. The dealership operating name was changed to Don Valley North Lexus Toyota.

1991

The three level Eastern expansion was completed, taking the dealership from its existing 23,000 square feet to a massive 65,000 square feet. At this point, the accounting/administrative personnel moved back to the main location.

1991

The Customer Retention department was established to provide both short and long term customer follow-up.

1992

The Human Resources department was established to implement and maintain a variety of programs designed to maintain legislative compliance and provide a climate where employees have opportunities to improve and grow.

1994

The Luxury Used Car Department was established to provide improved control over "high end" used vehicles.

1994

The Lexus service reception area was relocated to the Lexus showroom area to provide improved service to our Lexus customers.

1996

The staff cafeteria was opened.

1999

Our current computer system, Reynolds & Reynolds ERA, was installed.

2001

Sold the TRAC department to Economy Rent-a-car who established an office on our premises and to serve our customers. In 2003 Hertz purchased Economy.

2002

The parts department was relocated to provide better access from the Toyota & Lexus service departments & to free up space for additional sales offices, an extended service reception area, and an improved cafeteria with better customer access. The cafeteria relocation, in turn, freed up space to allow for an improved technician change area.

2003

Company name Don Valley North Toyota Ltd. was changed to Don Valley North Automotive Inc.

2003

Lexus of Richmond Hill was established as the second Lexus dealership.

2003

Don Valley North Lexus Toyota franchise was split (operationally) to form Don Valley North Toyota & Don Valley North Lexus.

2003

The Don Valley North Leasing Division was established.

2005

Markville Toyota reconstruction was completed.

2008

Don Valley North Toyota moved to a new location at 3300 Steeles Avenue.

2008

Don Valley North Hyundai was established as the fifth dealership of the company.

2010

Don Valley North Lexus completed the renovation at 3120 Steeles Avenue.

2011

Oakville Volkswagen and Audi Centre Oakville were merged as the sixth and the seventh dealerships.

2012

Company name changed to Weins Canada Inc.


As of January 2012 following seven dealerships are operated under Weins Canada Inc. (WCI)

Don Valley North Toyota (DVNT)

Since 1973

Markville Toyota (MVT)

Since 1982

Don Valley North Lexus (DVNL)

Since 1990

Lexus of Richmond Hill (LRH)

Since 2003

Don Valley North Hyundai (DVNH)

Since 2008

Oakville Volkswagen (OVW)

Since 2011

Audi Centre Oakville (ACO)

Since 2011


The following are supporting facilities for dealership operations:

Collision Repair Centre (CRC)
Gormley Automotive Centre (GAC)